Martinez's

Martinez's

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Second Week

Hola Familia!
I still can't figure out how to attach these flippin pictures to my email! I heard that they don't allow attaching them to your email until you are actually out in the field! Anyway I've been trying to do it with my computer skills but still haven't been able to attach them. They have some sort of add-on to all the computers here. Prints of photos take 2-3 days to develop! So if I do send you some I'll get a bunch- I'll save them up for one big email- would you like that?
Anyway I have a lot to talk to you about:
  • We have started teaching two investagors- one we follow up with every week until we leave, and the other we meet in a separate building and teach them for that day. Its nice to start gaining that experience before we actually leave. It's hard to do it in Spanish, but they are easy on us because it is our first lesson we gave.
  • A member of my Branch Presidency advised us to get like a mini 3x5 photo album of our family so that when we get out in the field, we can use it as a conversation starter. So could you do that for me?
  • I had a great learning experience for yesterday as we were teaching one of our investigators- who is also our teacher- "Juan". I am the junior companion in our companionship but I do most of the talking because I can understand and speak it. My poor companion is having a hard time understanding the language and you can tell he is just having a difficult time. I talked afterward with my teacher on what I could do to help him, and we had a lesson on Elder Holllands talk in the MTC from 1999 on missionary work. To sum it up he basically said "In missionary work, the lenguage of the Spirit comes first, then the lenguage you are asked to speak." It was great for both of us.
  • There is one Elder in our group who is kind of getting on my nerves and I'll tell you why. I call him the "one-upper". Any time someone tells of an awesome experience they had or are having, he is like a Gilly on the S.N.L. skits. He always has to outdo everyone or have the last word- it is strange. For instance I will share something that I have learned and he will go right after and try to share something profound. Most of the time it doesn't work, but it bothers me so much because he takes away the Spirit. I have been praying for the patience and brotherly love to get me over this, because it is sooooo annoying! I'm trying to feel the Spirit! Any suggestions please let me know. :)
  • My companion got sick the other night-poor guy! It was just like Sunnie that one night when we were playing pool and he just got up and went to the bathroom. I stayed behind to help him out, he felt bad, but I assured him that we all get sick and that is why I am a companion to him- to help him. He was really grateful and thankful for my help.
  • We had another Elder in our district who just wasn't to well at all- spiritually, physically, and mentally. He was questioning why he was here and the purpose of the Church. He literally did not eat any of the meals for 4 days! After Sunday night devotional he was fine! Brother Allen, the MTC director, talked about the purpose of missionary work and why we were here. He also talked about enduring to the end and to stick with your mission, never live with the regret. It was amazing he knew who he was, why he was here, and where he was going. The Spirit truly testified of missionary work.
  • People I have seen since I've been here:
    • Mark Homer
    • Jeff Clawson
    • Connor Johnson (tanners cousin)
    • Darren Hill
    • Marshall Hall
    • Kye Davis
    • Parker Harris
    • And a lot more I can't remember at this very moment. Needless to say, you see everyone here, which helps!
  • Thanks for sending the doughnuts! Everyone loved them and were sooo grateful for them. There was not one missionary who didn't say "thanks". They also want to say thanks to you mom.
  • Keep on sending the letters. They really are like GOLD! The Dearelders are perfect and they day you send them is the day I get them! They keep my spirits up and don't ever think that I will get sick of them :)
  • Sunnie, make sure you are updating my blog. Take my church email address off the message as well as the "NOTICE" message at the bottom. Let me know if you are able to handle it okay. Thanks love you!
  • You probably already know this with the other letter I sent you but I guess I need the "Yellow Fever" vaccination. I didn't have it on my records that you sent with me, but Lisa said that I had got all that I needed. Weird? Would you look into that for me mom or dad- thanks!
  • Please let my deacons and the priests quorom know how much I love this gospel. Missions are hard, but they are also sooo rewarding. You grow in all ways-spiritually, mentally, physically. There is nothing better than serving a mission. Let them know that it is hard- but what things in life that are extremely valuable not?
I love you all very much,
Elder Martinez
Matthew 10:22

No comments:

Post a Comment